| Our Building
“Faith does nothing alone-nothing of itself, but everything under God, by and through God.”
With a pledge of $100 each Dr. A. L. Lewis, Rev. E. J. Gregg, Rev. J. Milton Waldron, Dr. Arthur W. Smith, A. W. Price, E. W. Latson and J. F. Valentine banded themselves together and applied for a Corporate Charter for the Afro-American Industrial Benefit Association in January 1901. The Bee Hive became a familiar symbol on the first issued polices. The disastrous Jacksonville fire of 1901 really destroyed the physical assets of The African-American Industrial Benefit Association. records were salvaged and business continued in the home of A. L. Lewis.
The company moved to larger headquarters at 609 Main Street, with the purchase of the Miami Mutual Insurance Company the company spread into South Florida. During the Depression years the Afro-American launched a program of study and advanced job training for employees. A new million dollar home office at Ocean and Union added much to the growth and development of the Afro American Insurance. Life Insurance Company.
Unfortuntely, the Afro-American Insurance Company stopped doing business and the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased and renovated the building. It was dedicated- March 1998. Today the Enterprise Center has approximately ten (10) tenants including the Eleventh Episcopal District Headquarters. We continue the proud heritage of the founder of the Afro-American Insurance Company that everything we do is by and through God.